New Mama Musings

Friday, February 11, 2005

Freecycle

I recently became a member of a wonderful organization called Freecycle. To quote from their homepage:
The worldwide Freecycleâ„¢ Network is made up of many individual groups across the globe. It's a grassroots movement of people who are giving (& getting) stuff for free in their own towns. Each local group is run by a local volunteer moderator (them's good people). Membership is free.

So basically it's a place to offer up your old junk and get other people's old junk for free. As my husband says, this is dumpster diving with computers.

Now, those of you that know me know "free" is my middle name. (Or it should be. Thanks a lot, Mom and Dad. When am I ever going to be able to say, "Linda -- that's my middle name"?)

But what does this have to do with being a New Mama, you ask?

Yeah, yeah, I'm getting there.

Since joining I have given away several perfectly-good-but-no-longer-needed items and received: enough baby and toddler clothes to keep any baby boy or girl outfitted for years, one baby carrier and one sling, one infant carseat, an almost-full box of nursing pads, a dozen of the cutest little disposable diapers you've ever seen, several baby washcloths, and a swim diaper cover.

Of course, there are the ones that got away. I've been too slow on the draw to receive not one but two cribs, a glider rocker with footstool, a highchair, a bouncy seat, and a baby activity center.

But let's not be greedy. Or impatient. After all, there are a good five more months of freecycling left in this pregnancy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home