New Mama Musings

Saturday, April 02, 2005

True Confessions

This kid's not even on the outside yet, and I'm already struggling with some feelings of guilt. Okay, confession time:

I had a few bad colds over the winter and took Tylenol and used nasal spray, thinking the ability to sleep and breathe were somehow important to my well-being.

I had my hair colored a month or so back. (This one is not really my fault, though. I went in for a haircut, got talked into highlights -- Safe because the dye doesn't touch the scalp! -- and suddenly felt the tingling of dye all over my head as the beautician said, "Let's get these roots -- they're really dark!" And yes, I paid good money for this.)

I occasionally have caffeinated beverages, possibly including but not limited to Dr. Pepper and cafe mochas.

I've been using a benzoyl peroxide cleanser at night. Most doctors believe this to be safe, but I really don't trust most doctors. Call me vain, however, because my need for a clear complexion outweighs the slight possibility that maybe this could possibly affect the baby in some negligible way.

My vegetable consumption has decreased dramatically since the first trimester. But all the important stuff is done forming after that, right?

I'm not exercising, unless you count following a two-year-old around the block while she picks up every pinecone and twig in her path. It's an exercise in patience, anyway.

But I do feel good about some of things I'm doing. For instance:

I drink at least five glasses of water a day. I know, I know, it's not quite eight to ten, but I still think it's pretty good.

I consume a lot of fiber. I haven't had any, ahem, issues at all so far.

I eat an almost purely vegan diet. I'm sure there are people out there who would debate me when I say this is the superior way to eat, but hey, it's my blog. I really believe that meat and dairy are completely wrong and evil and all kinds of other stuff.

The majority of the produce I eat is organic. I'll have to find a onesie that says "Pesticide-Free Baby" for when junior finally arrives. (Okay, I promise never to call him "junior" again.)

Soda and other junk food is an occasional treat, not a regular part of my diet.

I get plenty of sleep and rest. (Though I've never really had a problem making that a priority.) This will change, I'm sure.

I've been seeing a chiropractor to keep my body in alignment, which in turn will give the baby more space to move and (hopefully) position himself properly when it's time to give birth. (You're just sliding straight on out of there, right, little guy?)

I use all-natural cleaning and beauty products (except for the aforementioned benzoyl peroxide and ambush hair coloring). Again, people may scoff, but I really believe that most of the products on the market are not safe for long-term use.

So what have we learned today? New Mama is not perfect, but she does strive to do the right thing most of the time. And isn't that what parenting is really all about?

Isn't it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home