New Mama Musings

Tuesday, March 08, 2005

The Entry in which I Reveal the Baby's Gender

I had my second ultrasound today, in a little office up on the seventh floor of the hospital I'll be delivering in. They took me right away, which was much appreciated because I was required to drink 32 ounces of water an hour prior to the appointment and by that time I really had to pee.

I laid down with my husband sitting beside me and the lab technician put the gooped-up wand on my bare belly. She took all kinds of measurements of things I couldn't really distinguish, and then she let me use the bathroom before finishing up the ultrasound. Perhaps there is a God.

After that she noted the vital organs, including the kidneys and the heart (we saw all four chambers). It was interesting but I really wanted to see things I would recognize, and I was so happy when we saw a little foot. We saw the outline of the baby, with the spine running down the baby's back, and a leg, and then an arm, moving back and forth. That was the thing that amazed me the most -- it's a real baby, with a real arm, and it's moving in there.

I had told the technician at the beginning that we wanted to know the gender if possible, and about 3/4 of the way through she said, "You wanted to know if it's a boy or girl?" She pointed out the tip of the penis and said it was definitely a boy.

I immediately said, "I knew it!" (and of course my husband said, "You didn't know nothin'!"), not because I have some special mommy instinct now that I'm pregnant, but because pretty much all of us were hoping for a girl. My oldest stepson said he always wondered what it would be like to have a sister who didn't have Down Syndrome, his sister keeps asking if it's a boy or a girl with the emphasis on girl ("Maybe girl? Maybe boy? Maybe GIRL?"), and I wanted a girl, well, just because.

Plus we had a super-cool name picked out for a girl and unless we want our son to get the crap kicked out of him on the playground, we won't be able to use it now.

But don't get me wrong, little son of mine. I am definitely very excited to meet you and I love you already. Penis and all.

2 Comments:

  • Hey Kid -- following along your journey to mommyhood as I have the time. I miss you and hope to see you soon.

    Donna

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:05 AM  

  • You will be a terrific mom! Congrats on the baby buy! Your new favorite times of your day will be 'Son up'-'Son down!'

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home