New Mama Musings

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Happy Birthday to Me

Last Saturday I turned 35, the age my mother was when she had me. There must be something meaningful about that, but damned if my mommy brain can articulate it. (Hey! I just used a four syllable word!)

The day was pretty mellow as far as birthdays go. It didn't help matters that it was the coldest day of the season so far -- the low temperature was 11 below Fahrenheit. So we stayed in, my husband made pancakes for breakfast, I made pizzas for dinner, and we both loved up the baby.

On Sunday my parents took the three of us to a Mexican restaurant for dinner. Normally when we take Henry out to eat my husband and I take turns holding him, and he gets progressively more and more squirmy so that by the time the check arrives it's definitely time to go. We can eat, but it's never a nice, leisurely experience.

My mom offered to hold Henry when she was done eating so my husband and I could finish our meals, and I was stunned to see Henry lean back against her, pop his thumb in his mouth, and zone out. After a while my dad held him, and actually had him laughing. Both of them fawned over him like, well, doting grandparents.

On the way out my dad said to my husband, "Cherish them while they're little. It goes so fast."

Who are these people? And what have they done with the ones who raised me?

3 Comments:

  • Happy Birthday!! I will turn 35 this year too. Where has the time gone?

    Sounds like a wonderful meal with your parents. My dad does a good job of getting M laughing, but my nutcase mom doesn't have any kind of calming effect whatsoever, lol. We also get lots of wriggling and squirming during meals, and, well, most of the rest of the time too. I have a very, um, active and un-cuddly baby.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:17 PM  

  • Me too, me too, and me too. Did I already post here? LOL!

    Happy birthday!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:28 PM  

  • Bill Cosby does a great skit about his parents and their relationship with his kids that pretty much parallels your experience, and mine too! It must be something that gets triggered when parents are turned into grandparents.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home