New Mama Musings

Thursday, July 20, 2006

I Would Dream of Sleep if I Could Ever Get to the REM Stage

Last night's sleep (if I can call it that) was so bad it was comical.

8:10 - 8:30pm: Nursed Henry to sleep, first one side and then the other. Fell asleep soon after, since I was so exhausted from the Night of Eternal Wakings the night before.

10:15pm: Henry cried out and thrashed around; nursed him back to sleep.

11:15pm: Henry thrashed around again. Thinking he couldn't possibly be hungry, I picked him up and rocked him for a few minutes until he tried to throw himself out of my arms, at which point I laid him on his stomach and patted his bottom until I was sure he was out. Then I lay awake with Ralph's World lyrics running through my head until...

12:15am: More crying and thrashing. Tried the rocking thing but he wasn't having it, so I nursed him back down. Then I headed to the kitchen for a drink of water, went to the bathroom, came back to bed and lay awake until...

1:15am: Henry was up again. Nursed him back to sleep right away and lay awake for a while with lines from The Big Red Barn going through my head ("There was a big pile of hay/And a little pile of hay/And that is where the children play/But in this story the children are away/Only the animals are here today"). I must have fallen asleep at some point, though, because I was awoken by more thrashing and crying at...

2am: Things get a little fuzzy here; I either nursed or patted or rocked the boy back down. I do remember Henry talking in his sleep. "EHT!" and two minutes later, "HA TAH!" Then I think I may have dozed off.

3:15am: More nursing, or possibly not. Lay awake thinking up ideas for new blog entries until...

3:30am: Gigantic thunderstorm, which amazingly did not wake Henry up, but kept me awake until I finally drifted off.

5:30am: Two whole hours! More nursing. I fell asleep again until the final wake-up at...

7:30am: Henry sat up, bright-eyed and bushy-tailed.

It could be a very long day.

2 Comments:

  • Ack. I feel ya, mama. I wish I had some good advice, or at least a magic wand. You know our story, though. Things got better when we moved M to the crib, but it's still not a magic bullet. It would be much easier if we didn't spend all that time lying awake in bed, with silly things running through our heads, now wouldn't it? Now where did that "off" switch go? ...

    P.S. When you do start sleeping long enough to get to the REM stage, you'll feel like you're never going to get out. Someone once told me that when we're sleep deprived, we spend a lot of time in REM. Anyway, all I do these days is dream and dream and dream. Really weird stuff, too. And somehow, it just doesn't feel all that restful.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:56 PM  

  • Sounds like our nighttime with CJ. *sigh* *yawn*

    Sorry you are experiencing it too!

    Kristin

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home