New Mama Musings

Sunday, July 01, 2007

Is the Skin the Window to the Gut?

As I mentioned in a previous post, Henry has some skin issues that continue to stump me.

This is what his face looks like sometimes:



These marks usually come and go within a day, and I think they may be caused by fruit. Yesterday they showed up after Henry ate some dried strawberries, then faded a bit, and then flared up again after we shared a blended raspberry drink at Summerfest. I'm going to cut fruit out of his diet for a week to see if I notice a difference. (Oh, the cries of "Smooey! Smooey!" -- smoothie -- this morning!)

He also gets raised rough patches, mostly on the backs and insides of his thighs. The redness comes and goes, but the patches stay for weeks. Here's a photo I took last night (it's not a great picture, but you get the idea):


These marks are also the same kind that covered his back before we took him (and me) off dairy. I'm pretty careful about our diets, so I'm puzzled as to why he's still getting them. Another food intolerance, maybe?

5 Comments:

  • I'm assuming you already know this, but will mention it just in case ... anything containing casein, whey, and something I'm forgetting have dairy in them. A lot of breads contain that stuff ... it's hidden everywhere. But like I said, I'm pretty sure you know that anyway. Wish I could be more help!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:00 PM  

  • Thanks. I'm aware of casein and whey. If you think of the other thing, let me know! The majority of our food is unprocessed, but maybe I should check labels again.

    By Blogger True Mama, at 4:32 PM  

  • Hi, mama - Fellow Mothering mom here - just to let you know, I had this exact reaction with one of my daughters and it ended up being pineapple of all things. She is allergic and we now make sure that she doesnt eat any. Good luck!

    By Blogger Little Acorn Learning, at 7:50 PM  

  • Thank you, Eileen, for sharing your experience. Henry has been off fruit for almost a week and has had no flare-ups on his face. His legs are looking better, too, though the patches are still there. I'm planning on trying one fruit at a time with him to see if I can figure it out.

    By Blogger True Mama, at 9:18 AM  

  • Hey...another MDC mama here and I wanted to let you know that my DS does that with anything citrus (orange, pineapple, tomato) and dairy. He gets the red splotches around the mouth as well as the eczema. He's starting to grow out of it, though it seems.

    By Blogger Michelle, at 9:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home