New Mama Musings

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

The Best of Times and the Worst of Times


Henry came down with a stomach bug last weekend. He had been out of sorts, not eating much, and on Saturday night he refused to sit at the dinner table and was crying when he suddenly threw up.

I went to comfort him but my husband wisely said, "I think there's more coming," and sure enough, there was. He threw up again in bed that night and many times on Sunday -- including twice in my lap.

Henry has never thrown up before Saturday, so I suppose I should be thankful that he and we made it this far, but it's tough to feel gratitude when you're covered in vomit.

He didn't eat any solid foods on Sunday or Monday and very little on Tuesday, but he nursed often. I watched him for signs of dehydration, but I was never really worried. He seemed to know what his body needed.

Henry's back to eating normally and we had the most wonderful day today. I pushed him on his bike up to the park, where he dug in the soggy sand and climbed through tunnels and went down slides and pretended to fly a plane for almost an hour.

At home we made apple muffins and played with Play-Doh and read books and built a new track configuration for his trains.

It was a regular day for us, but it seemed so much sweeter knowing Henry felt normal again -- not to mention the lack of vomit. "No vomit" has moved high on my list of what constitutes a good day.

It's the little things.

3 Comments:

  • I am so vomit-phobic that it's not funny. I keep buckets under each of the kids beds at all times. Just the word "vomit" (or any variation thereof) causes me to feel queasy...

    It's just ridiculous, but I totally get what you're saying, sister...
    :)

    By Blogger bfmomma, at 9:33 PM  

  • Poor guy! (And poor Mama.)

    Here's a funny for you: My youngest was about four when he vomited for the first time, and after he finished, he looked at me and philosophically said, "So that's throwing up, huh?"

    I said yes, and he said, "Well, I didn't like that a bit!"

    Glad Henry's better. :o)

    By Blogger A crash of rhinos, at 11:12 AM  

  • Wow, we really ARe living parallel lives. Kiernen came down with the same thing on the same day and is also today feeling better. He keeps telling everyone, "I sick," then making "Shhhhhsss," sounds for the vomitting part to illustrate his plight.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home