New Mama Musings

Wednesday, May 04, 2005

What in the Hell is Going on Here?

The other night as I was changing clothes both my husband and I looked down at my body at the same time and said, "Whoa."

It was as though we were examining something outside of either of ourselves, a separate entity. That's what it feels like sometimes. I can't believe this is my body doing all these crazy things.

I thought maybe I should catalog a few of the changes for posterity...hopefully things will go back to normal to some degree when all is said and done.

My breasts. Sure, why not: let's start with the twins. I won't go into too much detail here, but things that were pigmented before have darkened and expanded. Things that used to defy gravity no longer do so.

My face. I was breaking out a lot but started using a benzoyl peroxide cleanser, which helped considerably. However, now that my skin is clear, I've noticed the "mask of pregnancy," which sounds way cooler than it is. (I was thinking of getting a cape and some Wonder Woman boots and starting a fad.) It's basically a skin discoloration common during pregnancy in which pale brown blotches appear on the face.

My stomach. It's large (and only getting larger). I actually bump into things, like you would knock into something with a purse you didn't realize was hanging so far off your body. It's also getting more and more difficult to bend over, so I've taken to squatting down whenever I need to pick something up...which happens a lot more than I would have thought.

I also have the "linea nigra," a dark pigmented line that runs from the top of the abdomen past the belly button to the top of the pubic bone. And the skin around the belly button itself is blotchy and dark. I'm still obsessively checking for stretch marks (which I heard one woman describe as "flames of love," but who is she kidding?); nuthin' yet.

Also, the baby started moving in earnest (Ernest...there's a name we hadn't considered) a few weeks ago. You can actually see the movement sometimes, which is seriously freaky. Something's in there, that's all I know for sure.

A few people have asked me if I've had any cravings, and I really haven't. Well, I've been loving the chocolate lately, but that's not unusual for me. Which leads me to another comment I've gotten that's surprising in light of the chocolate consumption, which is that I'm carrying the weight (all twenty pounds, y'all) mainly in front.

What a strange turn of events. I never would have guessed how happy it would make me to hear that my weight gain is mostly in my stomach.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home