New Mama Musings

Monday, May 14, 2007

Jabberwocky

I haven't given the Henry highlights in a while. Here's the latest on my twenty-one month old wunderkind.

My husband and I are now Daddy and Mommy, as of a few weeks ago. We went from Dada and Mama, to Dad and Mom, to Daddy and Mommy. I'm relieved, frankly. I was so not ready to be "Mom."


Henry has started saying "maybe," I guess because I qualify statements a lot. For example, we go to my parents' house for a visit once a week. Since my sister Karen lives next door, she often, but not always, stops in to see us as well. So when I tell Henry we're going to Grandma and Grandpa's house, he says, "Duh-duh." (Grandma.) "Pa." (Grandpa.) "Toon." (Karen.) "...may-mee."

Apparently I also say "neat" a lot. And "pretty." Because now anything that interests my boy is "neat!" Pause. "Pih-tee." And really, I have never seen a more beautiful screwdriver.


Also, after Daddy leaves us at bedtime so Henry can nurse to sleep, Henry sometimes talks about what he might be doing. "Daddy. Book." ~pause~ "May-mee." "Daddy. Pew-pew." (Computer.) ~pause~ "May-mee." It's so damn cute.


He now refers to himself in the third person. He started out with "Hen" but has progressed to "Henny," and the word is accompanied by him jabbing a finger into his torso. Just so there's no confusion.


The other day I sneezed and he said, "Bless you." I had no idea he even knew to say "bless you" after someone sneezed.

Another two-word combo is "far away." When we hear a siren we talk about whether we can see the fire truck or just hear it. I'll say, "We can hear it with our ears, but we can't see it with our eyes because it's too far away." So now when we hear a siren and he says, "See, see," I'll ask him, "Can we see it?" and he'll say, "Far 'way."


He is on the verge of spelling words, too. His favorite by far is "stop" since we pass so many stop signs on our walks. He can also identify "Daddy," "Mommy," and "Henry." Also "poop." (Thanks, cousin Shelly!) In fact, if you ask him what some letters spell and he doesn't know, he will triumphantly announce, "POOP!"


When we read a book in which a character gets hurt (for instance, in "Hop On Pop" those crazy characters playing ball up on the wall eventually all fall, fall off the wall) Henry says, "Mommy." The inference is that they need their mommy to come make it better.

I mean, don't we all?

3 Comments:

  • My goodness does he look grown up. I can't believe the boy can spell. I thought my kid was a genius because she already knows her shapes and colors!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:03 PM  

  • Henry knows his shapes and colors too. Not that I'm bragging or anything. ;)

    M. and Henry are so smart, and yet they can't figure that sleeping-through-the-night thing out. Or does M. have Henry beat there, now?

    By Blogger True Mama, at 4:38 PM  

  • LOL, my girl is nowhere near spelling or shapes or colors. Damn, where did I go wrong? :)
    This was a lovely, sweet update. He sounds like such a wonderful soul, ao happy.
    XOXO

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home