New Mama Musings

Sunday, August 19, 2007

Smart Art

Henry has enjoyed scribbling for a long time now, but suddenly, the other day, he was actually drawing.

We were playing outside and when the neighbor girl drew a star with a piece of chalk, he picked up some chalk and said he was going to make a star, too. He drew an oval with a line through it, and then started to draw spikes extending from the perimeter. He said it was a sun. But when he finished making the spikes, he stood up, looked at it, and said, "Beetle!"


Next he made this:


and said it was a castle.

This is a boat:


and this is a construction crane:


I commented on the drawings, saying things like I noticed that the beetle had a stripe down his back, or that the boat looked just like the ones we see on Lake Michigan. I don't want Henry to look to me for praise for everything he does, but I do want to show him I'm paying attention. I admit, though, that it took everything in me not to tell him how incredibly smart and wonderful and amazing and gifted he is.

But he is, isn't he?

6 Comments:

  • That is so cool! Sadly, we're still at a point where M wants *me* to draw all the time. Can I just say that Henry draws better than me? So when M says "draw papa's motorcycle," well, you know it ain't gonna be pretty.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:50 PM  

  • awww... those are wonderful! I love kid drawings... I saved everything C. made (later weeded things out) initially.

    By Blogger bfmomma, at 7:52 PM  

  • A genius indeed! Kaia isn't doing this yet, although I'll have to try your technique of asking her to draw me something.
    These photos melted me...esp. the one with his chubby lil' hand!
    xoxo

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:31 AM  

  • That's SO cool!!!!

    I remember the first time Gabe made a circle on purpose. Love. :D

    By Blogger Caitlin, at 6:50 PM  

  • Maybe it wasn't so much that Henry was scribbling before, but that he's now moved from an abstract phase to a new realism style.

    Who knows what he'll come up with next? Such a smart boy...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:15 AM  

  • Wow! This truly amazes me. My 5 1/2 yo still draws in the abstract :) I love your blog. Henry is beautiful.

    By Blogger Jenn Lawlor, at 9:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home