New Mama Musings

Thursday, September 13, 2007

Now We Know

Last year my husband and I started talking about using our last remaining frozen embryo. When we did the IVF cycle almost three years ago, we had three viable embryos after genetic testing screened out those that were incompatible with life.

Two of them were transferred to my uterus (one became Henry, though we don't know which one)


and the third one was frozen.

It bothered me that something that could turn into a person the way Henry did was sitting frozen in a lab across town. But more than that, we were enjoying Henry so much that we decided we wanted to add to our family.

So on September 4th, after a few weeks of prepping my body with estrogen pills and shots of progesterone, our reproductive endocrinologist transferred the thawed embryo into my uterus. The blood test to determine whether or not I was pregnant was yesterday.

It didn't work.

We're pretty disappointed, naturally. But I was grateful that the embryo thawed out fine (this is not always the case) and, as a friend put it, we were able to bring it home.

4 Comments:

  • Oh NM ... I am so sorry (((hugs))). I wish I knew what else to say, but I don't. Everything I think of sounds trite. I just wish things had turned out differently ...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:58 PM  

  • You are in my heart.
    You are so precious for sharing this and so brave and perfect for giving life a chance...
    I love that you posted pics. I think that is amazing.

    By Blogger Leigh Steele, at 11:30 PM  

  • Oh... I am sorry to hear this...
    really.
    that is all I can say- the images are amazing. Henry is such an amazing little person. And so lucky to have such a wonderful momma.
    I'm sorry.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:47 PM  

  • (((hugs))), I'm so sorry.

    By Blogger Andrea, at 1:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home