New Mama Musings

Friday, November 25, 2005

Sacral Dimple

I'm having my first freak-out as a parent.

The other day, while Henry was having some naked time, I noticed a tiny hole between his butt cheeks right at the base of his tailbone, above his anus. I don't know how we got to almost four months without noticing this, but I guess I never felt the need to spread 'em before.

I immediately started doing some online research and found out that it could be something called a sacral dimple...or spina bifida occulta.

Yes, spina bifida. Hence the freak-out.

I also posted a question about it on the forums at Mothering, expecting to get one or two responses. Instead, a whole bunch of women replied, saying they, their kids, or their spouses had something like this, and for the most part it was no big deal. Some of them even jokingly referred to the dimple as a "poop collector."

Henry has his four-month check-up at the pediatrician soon, so I'll be bringing it up then, but I'm feeling a bit better. Isn't the internet a wonderful thing?

2 Comments:

  • Four Months before your first freak out? Man, you're good. You're really good!

    By Blogger Patti, at 4:50 PM  

  • My daughter was a preemie weighing one pound when born she also has a sacral dimple the doctors also told us this could be a sign of spina bfida but I believe she is doing quite well, I wouldn't freak out over it.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home