New Mama Musings

Sunday, October 08, 2006

House Hunting

My husband paid me a very sweet compliment the other day. He asked what was going on with my blog since I hadn't updated it recently, and when I replied that I've just been busy with other things he said, "I miss it." Aw.

I have been busy with other things. I could never be a (happy, productive) working mom, because I can't even manage to maintain a blog, cook meals regularly, update our budget, and check books out of the library all at the same time. Right now the endeavor that's occupying the majority of my time (and thoughts) is the search for a new home.

A few weeks ago I stumbled upon a 1920's Tudor with arched leaded glass windows, an artificial fireplace, crown moldings, built-in bookcases and china cabinet, hardwood floors, and a brick two-car garage. Everything was in pristine condition, and it was on a nice quiet street close to a wonderful park and a charming shopping district.


We hesitated, partly because it was the first house we'd looked at, partly because it was in a suburb just north of the suburb we thought we were looking in, and partly because we figured we had a few days, at least. And we were too late, by only a few hours.

We're still set up as the next offer in line should the first one fall through (could you all pray very hard that this happens?) but it doesn't look good. We're kicking ourselves, because the more we look the more we realize that this place was a steal.

We also looked at a house with very similar features in the suburb to the south. It would need a lot of work, but we'd be willing to do that for the right price in the right location.


However, we took a walk around the neighborhood today and ended up deciding to pass. There are a lot more rental properties in this area, and although at first I loved that it was a smaller community, I'm now realizing that with small comes more proximity to busy streets.

The good news is that the more we look, the better we define what we really want. We're now thinking this suburb to the north is the better location, and we're looking more closely at how the neighborhood feels. We were mainly focused on being on a more liberal, educated, and "hipper" part of town; now we realize that narrowing that down further to the right street is important too.

So...we continue to look, and to try to get our current home ready for the market, and I continue to let other things slide because apparently I inherited my mother's propensity for being easily overwhelmed. I sure hope Henry takes after my husband in that regard.

P.S. Right after I published this blog entry my husband asked to see it. As he scrolled down he said, "Oh, no, this is a word one?"

3 Comments:

  • OMG! Are you serious? wow...

    And if you want MY input on streets, just let me know :) There are some really cool ones, and while I can't claim to know every street, I might well know someone from almost every street. :)

    A premature "welcome to the neighborhood!"

    By Blogger bfmomma, at 10:48 PM  

  • What adorable houses. I love 'em. I miss these types of neighborhoods and houses. Here in the desert, I'm surrounded by cookie cutter stuccos that all look alike.
    Good luck with your house hunting!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:03 AM  

  • Too nice about your husband reading your blog. I've actually *requested* that my husband read mine, and nope. He doesn't have time (despite the fact that he's always up to date on the latest Yahoo and Slate articles). Whatever.

    Wow, is that house GORGEOUS. I am so crossing my fingers that the first offer falls through and you guys get another chance. At least it helped you refine your search and better understand where you want to live, though.

    And hey, I get easily overwhelmed, too. I have no idea how people work outside the home, raise a family and keep a house from falling apart. It boggles my mind.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home